One of the most effective ways to save energy at home is through insulation. Proper insulation can save you a lot of money in the long run and will ensure that your home is comfortable to live in. One of the most common types of window insulation in Wellington is double glazing. This involves having two layers of glass, instead of the usual one, on your windows and doors. Around 20% of your home’s heat is lost through windows. By replacing your windows with double glazed ones, you can make significant energy savings. Here’s how.
Better heat Insulation
A normal single glazed window allows temperatures outside to affect those inside. When it’s cold, they allow a lot of heat to escape and when it’s hot outside, the temperature inside also rises.
The air space in a double glazed window acts as a form of insulation. Since it is a poor conductor of heat, the temperature inside is not affected as much by the situation outside. So when it’s cold in the winter, your house will be warm and you will spend less power keeping it that way. In summer when temperatures go up your indoors will remain relatively cool.
The cheapest types of double glazed windows in Wellington can display up to 54% less heat loss than single glazed windows with some superior types showing 70% less heat loss. When it’s hot outside, double glazed windows let through 13% less heat some types can let in over 50% less heat.
When you start adding up just how much energy you are saving, you will be surprised. Your lower power bills will reflect the savings.
Other benefits of Double Glazing in Wellington
Saving energy is not the only benefit double glazing has.
• Double glazed windows do not experience as much condensation. Condensation occurs when warm air gets is cooled by the cold glass. The pocket of insulation in between the glass layers prevents this. Condensation can damage some windows over a period of time. So double glazing will help increase the life of your windows.
• Less noise pollution. If your house is near a noisy area such as a street or a school, the latest double glazed windows offer substantial sound proofing. Again, the air pocket plays a big role in reducing noise levels from outside.
• Better security. Double glazed windows are often harder to break through.
• Less UV penetration. Double glazing prevents your upholstery and carpet from fading by drastically reducing the amount of UV light that comes in through the windows.
• Increased home value. A combination of better security, energy saving and less noise ensures that if you ever want to sell your house, you will get a great price for it with the added value of double glazing.
If you are looking for ways to reduce your energy consumption, double glazing is an excellent start. The team at Thermawood Wairarapa is there to help you do it. Their window insulation services are nothing but professional and they service the whole Greater Wellington region. Visit their website at www.thermawoodwairarapa.co.nz to learn more about the cost of retrofit double glazing in the Wairarapa and Welllington areas.